Friday, January 5, 2018

Movie Review: Star Wars The Last Jedi

Movie: Star Wars The Last Jedi
Genre: science fiction/fantasy
Starring: Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega
Rating: Two thumbs up

I've been hyped about Star Wars since I was 12 years old and the first one was making news everywhere because of its uniqueness.  It's been fun to be a fan all these years and to be always looking forward to new movies. If my 12 year old self knew that my old 50 plus year old self was still getting to see new Star Wars movie all these years later she would DIE!

That being said, I feel like something is different. I don't know if it's me. If it's just being older. If it's the change in the leadership/direction of the movies. Or what. But my excitement level for these movies isn't what it used to be. Makes me sad.

THAT being said, I still love and enjoy them. The music is still amazing. The effects are still amazing. The excitement and edge-of-your-seatness is still amazing.

So I just saw this new movie for the second time the other day. The first time I saw it maybe I wasn't able to just relax and enjoy like I wanted.. but I went out thinking..... I don't know what to think. And there were a lot of weird things. And I just... couldn't put a finger on my reactions.

It was much better the second time around. (Maybe it was simply that I got to see it in the IMAX the second time? LOL... but it was awesome with the bigger screen and sound!) And I understood stuff a bit better and caught many things I didn't catch the first time. So I think that helped a lot.

I'm still trying to decide if I'm invested in these characters. I know many people can't stand Kylo Ren, but he fascinates me as do many vulnerable tortured villains do. He totally fits in that category for me. I'm not sure what I hope for his future, but for that moment when he seemed human in this movie...it made me happy.

Rey is...cool. I like her. But I still want to know, as she does herself... what she has to do with anything. Like why is she suddenly a part of this story? There must be more!

I loved seeing Luke in this one again. He was never my favorite, even as as 12 year old (I was always about Han... sob.) But it was fun to see him you know... do his thing there at the end.

I loved the new character Rose. I hope she is still apart of things next time. And I continued to love Finn as I did the first go around. It will be interesting to see what happens with these two characters who have now bonded pretty heavily.

Now stuff that is a bit more spoilery so stop if you haven't seen it yet and care about that sort of thing:


  • Princess Leia and the whole not instantly freezing and dying in space. I mean that was a really big big BIG thing she suddenly managed to do with the force. I just... yeah. That was too much. 
  • Not learning who Rey's parents are and where she comes from... I totally thought that was going to be answered this time around. And I don't believe Kylo Ren that they are nobody. It doesn't make sense.
  • I loved the laser fight that Kylo and Rey have together. That was awesome.
  • All the strange creatures...eh. I don't get it. (The bird things, the big dinosaur things, the crystal things, etc.) Probably this is my oldness coming out.
  • I still find it strange that they use some many familiar scenes and... I don't know... just a lot of the same stuff from the original. Even some dialogue. Why? I think we'd all still like it if they didn't. Know what I mean?
  • I love the nod to the kid at at the end. I'm intrigued. The future of the rebels!
  • The absence of sound there at the end when that one thing happened. Awesome. I love that theaters had to have disclaimers saying that was supposed to happen and was part of the movie. Sheesh, some people!
  • I loved learning a little more of the back story regarding Luke and Kylo Ren. Intense.
Well, that's about all I can think of for now

Have you seen it? What were your impressions?

Here's the trailer for those are still pondering it. And just for fun for those who have already seen it!



5 comments:

  1. We actually just went and saw it for the first time last night and I was really really disappointed. The story line felt all over the place, it wasted time, and no questions got answered! It just didn’t feel like a Star Wars movie. :( And I hated a lot of the dialogue. Oh well. I have suspicions on who Rey is but I’ll wait to see if I’m right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny: Curious as to who you think. Not the normal theory I'm guessing?

      Delete
  2. I do agree that the feeling is different. But, I still love them. And, I loved this one. There were things I liked and things I didn't. But for the most part, I thought it was good. I'm glad you liked it too. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails