Thursday, March 9, 2017

Book Club Potential Reads for 2017-18


It's that time of year when the book club is pondering a list of books to read during the next year! (Don't ask me why March is the month we do this. It just is!) And I've made it tradition to post this list here and get your all wise and wonderful feedback!

So let us know what you think of this year's list of potentials! Should any be voted in for sure? Should any be voted out?


Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather
The Living Reed by Pearl S. Buck
All The Truth That’s in Me by Julie Berry
Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell
Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta
Romeo and/or Juliet by Ryan North
The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen
A Man Called Ove by Fredrick Backman
What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer
Ross Poldark by Winston Graham
Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
My Lady Jane by Brodi Ashton
Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg
Followed by Frost by Charlie Holmberg
The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams
The Hollow City by Dan Wells
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive when the World Overwhelms You by Elaine N. Aron
The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher
Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson

11 comments:

  1. I'm very pleased with the finalists this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like, Jenny I am as well. There are a few in there that I don't think I'll read if they get voted in just because of my "not wanting to get a slump" thing. But, There are only a very few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me about your book club. Is this book club for teens or adults?

    If it is for adults, I would skip the Romeo and Juliet Choose Your Adventure by North. The adventures don't last long enough and most (all) are stupid. Think I am biased?
    The book Where'd You Go, Bernadette? also really frustrated me...out of control people and preposterous situations. I just don't think that kind of book works for book clubs.

    My Lady Jane, I loved, but it is also very silly...a reimagined story to a really historical person: Lady Jane Gray. Zany and funny but would it work for a discussion? I'd say yes if your group is teens, no if adults/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our book club is mostly adults, but there are a couple of teens as well. And, most of the adults, if not all them, love YA. We usually do find things to discuss even in the YA books. I've read My Lady Jane and I think it would actually make for a very fun discussion on a few topics.

      I nominated Romeo and/or Juliet because I thought it would be fun to see which paths everyone chose and to discuss why we chose them. But, that's me.

      Delete
    2. Anne: Yes mostly adults, but as Jenni says, we like to mix in a lot of YA and some kid books too just for fun!

      Delete
    3. Ditto the above! Our book club reads a variety of genres. It is one of the reasons I love it. I read books I normally wouldn't!

      Delete
  4. I loved ALL THE TRUTH THAT'S IN ME (also Julie Berry's newest, THE PASSION OF DOLSSA), DARK MATTER, and THE CHOSEN ONE. All of them would make for good discussion books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: I think some of those will be making it through the final cut!! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, lots of good looking books in that list! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In so jealous! I wish I still lived in Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is going to be a fun year of books!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails