Thursday, September 26, 2013

Book Review: Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles

Book: Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles
Genre: NA Romance (or is it YA? These kids are still in high school!)
Rating:★★★☆☆
For: Review
From: NetGalley (released October 1, 2013)

This is the story about two kids who are thrown together a bit accidentally. He ends coming to life with his step mom at her dad's house. The step mom has a sister just his age! They are instantly attracted to each other, but given the circumstance, they know that it just can't be. Besides, she has boyfriend already. And so, instead, they end up annoying and bugging the crap out of each other.

An interesting thing about her... she plays football. And when her boyfriend, the star quarterback, defects to the other team, her team is left lacking and in need. And I wonder if the new dude is the answer to that question. But he doesn't play football too, does he?

I totally enjoyed the tension and conflict between these two. I loved he was from Texas and I no problem envisioning the drawl and the cowboy boots and jeans! :) I love that he was sort of a bad boy, but not. And that she was sort of a tom boy, but not.

In the end, I felt the story was fun but nothing totally wonderful that really stood out to me. As usual and to no one's surprise I'm sure, I have issues with the choices these kids make and the situations they put themselves into, and once again, the lack of parental involvement. It's crazy, you know!?

Bottom line: A steamy, tension filled romance that borders on NA, even if it's supposed to really be YA.

Other Reviews:

If I want something sweet, I read Sarah Dessen. If I want something more cerebral, I read John Green. And when I want something steamy, who else to turn to but Simone Elkeles? From Anna Reads

Both are so vulnerable especially when it comes to admitting real feelings and I found it to be raw but it was never overdone and never over the top! From Bewitched Bookworms

I found myself wishing I had started it earlier in the day, because I did NOT want to put it down! From Proud Book Nerd

This was a steamy young adult contemporary with fun characters, laugh out loud moments, and a heartfelt story. From Dark Faerie Tales

3 comments:

  1. I understand your issue with lack of parental involvement. When I was younger and read books like these, it never phased me that adults didn't seem to be around. Now that I am older, I am completely perplexed when parents don't seem to be around or if they are around they need the kids to explain life to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. It just seems convenient to let the kids try to sort out the problems on their own without the parents. Absent parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this book cover but now that I've read your review I think I'll pass, even though the tension between those two is entertaining. Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails