Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Month of Letters Wrap Up


I did it! I wrote and mailed a letter or card or post card (or two) every day this month!

According to my list I sent 31 pieces of mail to England, Canada, Australia, Sweden, The Philippines, Nevada, North Carolina, New Jersey, Indiana, Massachusetts, Oregon, New Hampshire, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Texas, Colorado, Idaho, and of course Utah! (Did I forget someone?) Whew. Awesome!

Hopefully I sent something to everyone that responded to my several pleas for addresses. If I didn't let me know! (Some of them may still be on their way.)

I sent several birthday cards and Valentines to family, Utah postcards and cards to lots of blogger people and other letter writing participants, cards and even a few "real" letters to in real life friends, and far away friends! Oh, and one fan letter! (To Mr. Markus Zusak of course!) And I don't even think it was too fan girly or gushy, it was a simple chit chatting thing and was actually so fun to write and made me realize I should do that more often. I have John Green on my list too, but didn't get one written yet. And I couldn't find a real snail mail address for Josh Groban, but perhaps I'll keep looking. Yeah, as if he looks at real snail mail letters. Do you think?

So far I've received two postcards, two other types of cards, and one "real" letter. (By real letter, of course I mean on several pieces of paper with several sides covered! Thanks Memory!) Hopefully there's still some to come!

Here's what I learned from this experience:

FAITH: that the very small piece of paper that I was sticking in a box was actually and truly embarking on a trip and would make it to its destination wherever it may be in the world!

PATIENCE: waiting waiting waiting for the possibility that maybe perhaps a letter would come back to me!

TRANQUILITY: to take a quiet moment to stop, and sit and write something

TRUST: that giving out my address to several strangers would be safe and okay

CREATIVITY: in thinking of what to say to 1) people I've never met or talked to 2) people that read my blog and see all there is to know about me already 3) people who I live with and/or talk to a lot in real life, so what's left to say? Yeah, that was fun trying to be creative!

ORGANIZATION: to actually fit in that bit of tranquility and creativity and get a letter written every day.

And I'm sure there were many other aspects to the experience, but those are the ones that stand out. Oh, I also learned that the mailman changed up his schedule and comes to the house much earlier than he used to! That messed me up several days and caused me to have to take a little drive to the post office. Oh, well.

Bottom line: I loved it! It has been so fun, and I will keep the letter writing going. I just won't stress about the  every day thing. Yeah, that will be nice.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks again for the lovely postcard that you sent! It's always nice to get a little something in the mail, especially when you know it traveled thousands of miles to get to you. :P Have you ever considered signing up for http://www.postcrossing.com/? It's a postcard swap website and I just signed up for it. Ooh I just thought of it but maybe it would be a good idea to have a postcard swap thing during Bloggiesta? LOL just thinking out loud here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how it that little paper can get all the way across the oceans! A postcard swap would be fun... but maybe separate from the Bloggiesta. I don't know....

      Delete
  2. I loved my postcard too! It's such a wonderful project and I'm so glad you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is excellent that you managed to write evry day.
    You know what? Often, I wonder how you get all you have to do done. Your reading stas are great, you post consistently,and you take care of a very active family amongst other things you have going on in life.
    I am glad you wrote letters. I received mine, and enjoyed reading it. But, I like getting letter from you anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got your letter! Yay! And so glad to see all these comments from you these last few days. I miss your comments! :)

      Delete
  4. What an amazing accomplishment! I loved getting such a cute card from you and hope you got the one I sent in return. Letter writing is becoming a lost art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, I've emailed you about your fun card. But... THANKS again!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed receiving mail! I really could have done better at that whole replying thing. I received your postcard today, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really, really great post. I loved the whole process, too. I wish I had asked for more addresses from strangers, because now that the month is over I'm feeling bereft :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's weird that it's over! Oh, well. On to the next project....

      Delete
  7. Congrats on a successful LetterMo! I also wrote a fan letter this month. It was my very first, and it made me think I, too, ought to write them more often. I don't expect a reply (though man, would I ever be excited if I got one!), but it felt good to reach out to someone and tell them how much I've enjoyed their work over the years.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails